Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sugar Rush

Welcome back to Day Three of the Unofficial Kelly Goree Week on my blog. In May, I was lucky enough to take Kelly's Three for Three class at Scrapbook Expo which featured Basic Grey's Sugar Rush collection. Unlike last year's class, this one featured all single-page layouts. Here's the layout from Kelly's gallery which has a few minor changes from the class sample:



I loved this design as is but when I got home, I realized that I wanted to use it for a layout about Melissa performing in the school play when she was in 4th grade school and I would need to use more than one photo to tell the story. To make the original into a two page layout, I extended the light green block of patterned paper across the spread so that my pictures would have a block to rest on. After that I pretty much mirrored the first page. Here's my layout:


We created these flowers in class. After crumpling (yes CRUMPLING!) up punched circles, we distressed the edges with a file from Basic Grey's Precision File set, layered them and Voila! We had an economical embellishment that perfectly matched the layout. I have to admit that I did have trouble with the "Crumpling" step. It just goes against my grain to take a beautiful piece of paper and ball it up! LOL! Here's a close-up of the flowers:



The pearl bling was part of the class kit and made a pretty addition to the flower. I did some fussy cutting for the leaves using the grey patterned paper you see above. You can also see Kelly's signature doodling around the outer edge of the page. I really have to remember to do that more often!


Once I completed the second page, I did have concerns about the amount of green paper that was showing above my pictures. It just looked so empty. To fill it up, I went through my stash of rub-ons and found the quote, "You put a song in my heart." It seemed to fit perfectly with the theme of this layout. The rub-on sheet also had the cute birds and flowers so using my Basic Grey Rub-On Roller, I created a little scene and finished it off by embellishing a few of the flowers with green pearls.

Come back tomorrow when I have a scraplift to share with you.

Supplies:

Patterned Paper, Stickers, Brads: Basic Grey (Sugar Rush)

Rub-ons: Little Yellow Bicycle (Cardmaking Sentiments)

Pens: Stampin' Up! (Old Olive); Signo Gel (White)

1 comment:

Leslie Miller said...

That's so beautiful and creative the way you worked out the two page spread, Linda! Love how it progresses and flows. Also, those flowers are so cute and such a simple concept!